Monday, January 12, 2009

NEW HANDSOME FURS!!!


Well, it's here, the album I was most looking forward to of 2009. Because I love this band so much, I sorta felt bad having a leaked copy of Face Control, the new album from Dan Boeckner/Alexei Perry duo Handsome Furs almost two months before it officially comes out, on March 10. That guilt was quickly forgotten when I started listening and realized how kick-ass the music is. While I'm not sure they can ever do better than Plague Park, one of, if not, my favourite all-time album, Face Control is pretty damn good. I was afraid that it would be more upbeat than Plague Park, and it is. But it doesnt really bother me that much. While Plague was so dark and gave a kind of helpless feeling of longing, Face Control is a little more upbeat, rocky, and has a faster tempo, but it still has great hooks to make you love the songs. Plus, I basically love anything that Dan Boeckner sings (his songs were by far the ones that saved Wolf Parade's At Mount Zoomer for me), since his voice has such a raw, unique sound that I can't get enough of. All of this is a recipe for a great album. Handsome Furs are definitely going to be a contender for my album of the year again. Maybe I'm biased, but I just love this album, and you should definitely check it out. So far (I haven't listened to the last bit of the album much yet), my favourite songs are definitely the first 3 - Legal Tender, Evangeline, and Talking Hotel Arbat Blues.

ENJOY!

-&Him

No comments:

Post a Comment