Thursday, January 15, 2009

Fever Ray

When I first heard that Karin Dreijer Andersson of The Knife was releasing a solo album, I was very excited, since I love The Knife, and was desperate for more music from them since I heard they were on a long hiatus. The excitment grew when I heard the first single, "If I Had A Heart." In retrospect I should have seen that my excitment would make for unrealistic expectations, but I didn't see it at the time. After all, by the time the album came out, on March 24, the excitment would have subsided. Unfortunately, I was disappointed by what I heard when the album was realeased early on iTunes Tuesday. While The Knife's trademark dark, sinister sound is still present in Fever Ray's album, I still feel like its lacking something I can't put my finger on. Most of the songs just don't jump out at me, and I found most of the album forgettable. I'm not saying that it is a bad album, and maybe it will grow on me, but for now, it will remain a disappointment. Again, it's not terrible, and if you like The Knife, it's worth a listen. In addtion to the single, tracks that did stand out and I did enjoy were "Dry and Dusty" and "Now's The Only Time I Know"

-&Him

No comments:

Post a Comment